|Blaen Onneu Quarry Pot (Cave)
Cambrian Cave Registry Entry Number 797
|Location||SO 15890 16210
Northern Outcrop - Central (Morlais to Abergavenny), Powys
|Access||Also known as Pwll Blaen Onneu.
This pothole is in a disused quarry, 460m North West of the summit of the Beaufort to Llangynidr road.
A gate has been installed in the passage leading t o the Southern extensions. Access from A.Dickenson on 10452 770310.
|Description||The entrance is a small hole in the quarry floor opening out into the passage below. The pitch is about 3.6 m deep and can be descended with the help of a ladder or rope. The passage entered is a high rift and can be followed to the north and to the south.
To the north, the passage soon reaches a narrow pitch. Belay ladder or rope to an iron bar wedged between the walls. At the bottom of the pitch a rift passage leads to a shattered area and then to a smaller passage with several squeezes leading to a chamber. A small passage to the right leads to a narrow meander which lowers to a crawl and ends at a choke. On the other side of the chamber is a large boulder choke, this can be passed on the left to a space above the choke and a 2.2 m pitch into another chamber. On the far side a crawl leads to another chamber.
To the south, from below the entrance pitch, the high rift descends over boulders before the roof lowers at a shattered area. An excavated crawl beyond the gate then leads to the Twin Peaks, a 9 m pitch. Two small passages lead northwest and southeast from the bottom of the pitch but both end within a short distance. The way on is via an excavated hole in a small chamber to the north of Twin peaks. This leads to a tight crawl and a 5 m pitch into a chamber. From here a passage runs southeast and a small stream is met before the passage closes down.
|Bibliography||BNS Journal 1, 2-3, 1959. Discovery of extension
Stratford, T. Caves of South Wales. 1995
Schuurmans, T. A Caver's View of the Clydach River, 1986. Cwmbran Caving Club
|Survey||BNS Journal 1, 2-3, 1959
Llanelly Diggers 1992
|Found / Dug By||SWCC 1948. Extended by Llanelly Diggers 1990|
|Copyright © Cambrian Caving Council 2014||
Web development by Cookie and CCR
|Search for further records||Browse registry map|